Dengue fever , also known as breakbone fever is very common in tropical and subtropical regions. It is spread by the bites of mosquito Aedes Aegypti. This mosquito is known to breed and grow in stingy areas and in stingy water. In clean water its eggs do not survive. This is the main reason why dengue fever is most common in underdeveloped countries. Symptoms include extreme sickness with temperature rising to 104 fahrenheit. Severe headache and weakness are other features.
Here are the ways you can prevent yourself from dengue mosquito bite:
- Aedes Aegypti mosquito is most active at evening time from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Avoid going out during this period.
- Use mosquito repellent lotions if you usually stay out of your home.
- If you are sleeping in open air, use mosquito nets.
- At government level, tyre shops must be moved to areas with less population.
- Proper transport of litter.
- Wearing full sleeve cotton shirts.
- Spraying insecticides in home once a week especially in bathrooms.
- Abstain from going in dark areas.
- Avoid traveling to tropical and subtropical areas during dengue season.
- Maintaining overall cleanliness of your home, street and surroundings.
As dengue is caused by a virus, there is no medicine yet invented to cure the disease. Patient must strictly abstain from taking antibiotics as it will further decrease his plasma cells. Healthy food is what the patient needs to cope up with the weakness. Our body takes 1 to 2 weeks to build up defense mechanism against dengue fever and destroy it.
Doctor JK is a “doctor in making” and currently runs a blog www.doctorjk.com. He also teaches students of Cambridge A’Levels in a school and love to write articles during weekends.